View our Main Site »

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Aging gracefully with Michigan whiskey

By Tim Chilcote

A version this post first appeared Thursday, April 7th, 2011 on The Great Lakes Guru. Tim was good enough to lend it to us so that we might begin remedying the problem of our embarrassing lack of spirit coverage. Thanks Tim!

Cheers to growing up and growing old with Michigan whiskey. New Holland Brewing was one of the first Michigan microbreweries I came to love. Then just when I was ready to test the waters of Michigan’s burgeoning distilling industry, lo and behold, New Holland Artisan Spirits was right there with Zeppelin Bend, a straight-malt whiskey.

Zeppelin Bend, as New Holland explains, “begins with a brewer’s mash coaxing sugars from malted barley into a liquid wash. This wash is twice distilled and aged in new American oak with a heavy char...” for a “... classic American-oak finish.” The whiskey has no age statement, though my guess is that it’s quite young.

I purchased bottle number 112 of 360, from barrel number 7.8. At Siciliano's, the 375ml bottle costs right around $35—the fifth is $65 even—so I’m not likely to make Zeppelin Bend a staple of my liquor cabinet—yet. Zeppelin Bend is well worth it for the novelty or for a Michigan-themed tasting, or simply to nurture the young industry.

Here’s what this whiskey novice thought:

Color: Pale copper, with hints of red almost like a summer sunset.

Nose: Sweet vanilla, faint pine and juniper, and a little bit of oak. There’s also an intimidating alcohol smell.

Palate: Thankfully, the strong alcohol smell dims into a subtle flavor of vanilla, syrup, and oak. Sharp.

Finish: Licorice and mint, and a maple syrup flavor that is light, sweet, and surprisingly refreshing.

Overall: A nice starting point for Michigan whiskey. Zeppelin Bend is a bit “boozy” but not nearly as violent as your nostrils tell you. Good for a rainy fall afternoon spent on a covered porch.

With age, we all learn to relax.

4 comments:

  1. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Oyagu for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR Abubaka herbal medicine is the best remedy for Herpes and HIV/AIDS, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Abubaka cure Herpes, I decided to have a contact with him and asked him for solutions and he started the remedy for my health and prepare the herbal cure for me which i use to cure myself. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Abubaka herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Abubaka and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet because of the good work he did for me, You can reach him on his email: DrAbubaka@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348075551672

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living with Herpes for the past six years,it has been hell to me and I have

    tried all possible means to get cure but all in vain, luckily for me on this faithful day i was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on
    Herpes, and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Edidia cured
    them,so I contacted him based on the testimonies i have been seeing about

    him on the internet, and behold friends,that was the end of the disease (Herpes) now i'm free no more pains, is just not enough to express what you have done for me,thanks to you....

    You are indeed a light to those living with Herpes virus and may you remain

    blessed for your good work... Dr Edidia have cure for any types of diseases,

    Herpes HIV DIABETES CANCER Asthma STROKE INFERTILITY HEPATITIS B HEART DISEASE.   you can rich him now via ? Gmail address: dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349074505296.
      his website  https://dredidiaherbalhome.wixsite.com/dredidiaherbalhome    
     https://dr-edidia-herbal-home.business.site/ https://dredidiaherbalhome.simdif.com/
     visit facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Edidia-Herbal-Cure-105172711331669

    blogs pages https://naturaltreatmentherpes.blogspot.com/ https://besherpestreatment.blogspot.com/ https://herbalproductforherpes.blogspot.com/

    I,m rosesharon and you can get intouch with me via rosesharon915@gmail.com  also view website to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete